Residency | Spain
Situated in Southwestern Europe, Spain is regarded as one of the world’s most popular holiday destinations. It is a vibrant country admired for its majestic landscapes and excellent quality of life and a nation with a rich history and unique culture and traditions. Spain has one of the most important economies in Europe. It is also a full member of the EU and the Eurozone.
Investment: Minimum investment of EUR 500,000
Processing time: Approximately 20 days for the immigration procedure
Key benefit: The right to live, work, and study in Spain, and free movement to the EU and Europe’s Schengen Area
Benefits of Spain Residency by Investment:
- High quality of life
- Ability to include a spouse or unmarried partner, financially dependent children of any age (adult children must be full-time students), and financially dependent parents of the main applicant and/or their spouse who are 65 years and older
- Access to the public healthcare and education systems in the country
- A vibrant EU country that has majestic landscapes
- The possibility to apply for Spanish citizenship after two years of effective residence for Sephardic Jews and their descendants, and for citizens of Ibero-American countries, Andorra, Equatorial Guinea, Portugal, and the Philippines
- Excellent schools, with tuition available in English, French, German, Italian, Japanese, and Mandarin
Procedures and time frame of residence by investment in Spain
Applications to the program must be made through the prescribed forms and must be accompanied by the appropriate fees and supporting documents. Residence permits are usually issued after a 20-day consideration period and have an initial duration of three years, renewable for five years upon request, provided that a minimum investment in Spain is maintained by the applicant.
The application process comprises two stages:
- In the first phase, applicants apply in their home country for a Spanish residence visa that allows them to reside and work in Spain for one year.
- In the second phase, applicants apply for a Spanish residence permit. If they have come to Spain on an ordinary tourist visa, they may apply for the residence permit directly, thus omitting the first phase.
The residence permit applies to the main investor, spouse or partner (including unmarried or same-sex unions), and all economically dependent descendants.
There is no minimum stay requirement to maintain residence status but obtaining the first residence permit requires a visit to Spain.
Requirements of the Spain Permanent Residence Program
The Spain Residence by Investment Program requires that a foreign individual fulfills one of the following investments in the country:
- The acquisition of real estate with a minimum value of EUR 500,000 (one or several properties)
- Investment funds, bank deposits, or listed company shares in Spanish financial institutions with a minimum value of EUR 1 million
- A government bonds investment with a minimum value of EUR 2 million
Documentary evidence of the investment must be provided as part of the application process.