Residency | Luxembourg
With one of the highest GDP per capita in the world and a AAA credit ranking, the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg is the ideal destination for investors and entrepreneurs seeking a rich business landscape and an attractive alternative location for private residence. The founding EU member state offers an excellent quality of life and advanced infrastructure.
Investment: Minimum contribution of EUR 500,000
Processing time: Approximately six months
Key benefit: Visa-free access to the EU and Europe’s Schengen Area
Benefits of Luxembourg Residency by Investment:
—–Visa-free travel to Europe’s Schengen Area
—–High quality of life, stable political environment, and investor-friendly legislation
—–Low investment threshold, with no obligation to purchase real estate
—–Flexible and practical corporate law for rapid company formation
Procedures and time frame of the Luxembourg golden visa
Applications to the program must be made through the prescribed forms and must be accompanied by the appropriate fees and supporting documents. To obtain the residence permit, an applicant must demonstrate the intention to reside permanently in Luxembourg.
Once the initial due diligence checks have been completed, then the applications can be submitted.
Under the residence by investment option, an investment application is submitted to the Ministry of Finance or the Ministry of Economy. If approved, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs analyzes the application for final approval. Thereafter, a visa category D is requested from the applicant’s current country of residence, following approval.
Under the residence by private reasons option, an application is submitted to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs. If approved, a visa category D is requested from the applicant’s current country of residence and collected at the local consulate or embassy.
Luxembourg visa requirements
To qualify for residence, applicants can choose between the below two options:
1. Residence by investment
Investors from non-EU countries can choose one of the following four investment options:
- A minimum of EUR 500,000 into an existing Luxembourg company (with commercial, industrial, or craft activities) and commit to maintain the existing employment for five years
- A minimum of EUR 500,000 into a new Luxembourg company (with commercial, industrial, or craft activities) and commit to create at least five employments in the following three years
- A minimum of EUR 3 million into an existing or new investment or management structure, with a registered office in Luxembourg, which must have appropriate substance
- A minimum of EUR 20 million by deposit into a financial institution established in Luxembourg, which must be maintained for at least five years
2. Residence by private reasons (where the successful applicant cannot be employed in the country)
Individuals from developing nations can apply for residence by private reasons by fulfilling the following requirements:
- Prove that they can live off their own financial resources (proof of a regular flow of income of at least EUR 27,000 per year is required; bank savings alone might not be considered sufficient
- Have permanent accommodation in Luxembourg, which includes third-party liability insurance and property insurance for rented or purchased property