Residency | USA EB-5
The USA remains one of the most sought-after destinations for investors. The US EB-5 Immigrant Investor Program offers an efficient route to permanent resident status (a green card) in a short period of time.
Investment: USD 800,000
Processing time: 30–36 months
Key benefit: Citizenship eligibility after five years of legal residence
Benefits of USA Residency by Investment:
- One of the most desirable business and lifestyle destinations worldwide
- Range of top-tier schools and Ivy League universities available nationwide
- Efficient route to gaining permanent resident status (a green card)
- Ability to include a spouse and children who are under 21 years old and not married
- Minimal application requirements, with no business experience or specific language proficiency needed
- Flexible physical presence requirements
- Citizenship possible after five years of legal residence
Procedures and time frame of residence by investment in USA
Applications to the program must be made through the prescribed forms and must be accompanied by the appropriate fees and supporting documents. In addition to the usual personal documentation, the requisite documentation includes medical reports, vaccination records, certified police clearance certificates, and any court records that the applicant may have. On average, applicants receive their initial conditional green cards within roughly 30 to 36 months. The filing for the conditional green card to be converted into a regular green card is done two years later.
Investors’ spouses and unmarried children under 21 years of age may apply for green cards as derivative applicants and are not required to make further financial contributions but must submit their own paperwork.
Permanent residents can settle anywhere in the USA, but they are limited in their visa-free or visa-on-arrival access when compared to other countries.
To be eligible for citizenship, green card holders must have lived continuously in the USA for at least five years prior to naturalization. They must further show that they have been physically present in the USA for at least 30 months out of the five years immediately before filing for naturalization and must be able to read, write, and speak basic English. Other than a civics test, minimal additional conditions are required in order to obtain citizenship.
Requirements of the USA Permanent Residence Program
The US EB-5 Immigrant Investor Program requires that a foreign individual invests into a new commercial enterprise that is associated with government-approved regional centers based on proposals for promoting economic growth.
The following requirements apply:
1. Fulfil one of the following investment options:
- USD 1,050,000 into a non-targeted employment area project
- USD 800,000 into a targeted employment area project in a rural area or an area with high unemployment
2. Create or preserve 10 permanent full-time jobs for qualified USA workers
After the successful applicants have received a green card, the funds must stay invested until permanent resident status is granted (roughly five years).
Approved applicants will receive conditional green cards for a period of two years. The conditions on the green card are then removed at the end of the two years upon demonstrating to USA immigration authorities that the jobs were in fact created or maintained. The transition from conditional to regular green card does not affect what the green card holder can do in the USA.
Individual applicants must have a net worth in excess of USD 1 million and provide proof that their funds come from legal sources.